Junot Díaz is a pulitzer-winning, New York Times bestselling author. He was born in the Dominican Republic and grew up in the US. Now he teaches creative writing at MIT and is the fiction editor at the Boston Review.
“The Sun, the Moon, the Stars” is the first story in Diaz’s collection, This Is How You Lose Her.
Questions to consider:
1. How does Díaz craft the protagonist’s voice? Consider both the blatant and the subtle. How do these tools affect your experience of the story? Did the Spanish enhance or detract from your experience? Why/how?
2. What do you think of the Yunior’s relationship with “his boys”? Or Magda’s relationship with “her girls”? Of how each of those relationships affect their relationship to each other?
3. How does Yunior’s relationship to Santo Domingo affect his relationship with Magda?
4. Thoughts on the shifts in tense? Did you notice them? How do they highlight certain paragraphs?
5. How does the visit to the cave with the Vice-President change Yunior?
6. Is the final section of the story hopeful?
7.Do you think a relationship can ever fully recover from cheating? Why doesn’t theirs?